Facilties for a office building

For employees/ workers advice please visit http://www.labourguide.co.za/faq

If you would like to add a question click on the "new topic" button. To reply to an existing posting simply click on the "reply" button. Click on http://www.labourguide.co.za to return to the SA Labour Guide homepage

Moderator: Andrec

mariettescheepers

Facilties for a office building

Unread post by mariettescheepers » 29 Jul 2011, 10:57

Hi,

How many toilets is required per employee at a office building? Do we require showers and what is the ratio?

Our employees mostly work on site and once a while they work at our offices in the lab with chemicals. (preperation of samples)

Thank you

tinus

Re: Facilties for a office building

Unread post by tinus » 31 Jul 2011, 14:55

According to the National Building Regulations the ratio is 1 per 20.

One toilet, basins and shower per 20 persons.

According to the Facilities regulations of the OHS Act there should be different facilities for men and woman.

Regarding the use of chemicals - it would depend on the type of chemical the worker could be exposed to (have a look at the annexures at the back of the HCSR.

HCSR:

Regulation 11 - Personal protective equipment and facilities

(1) If it is not reasonably practicable to ensure that the exposure of an employee is adequately controlled as contemplated in regulation 10, the employer shall -
(a) in the case of an airborne HCS, provide the employee with suitable respiratory protective equipment and protective clothing; and
(b) in the case of an HCS which can be absorbed through the skin, provide the employee with suitable non-HCS impermeable protective equipment.
(6) Subject to the provisions of the Facilities Regulations, an employer shall, where reasonable practicable provide employees using personal protective equipment as contemplated in subregulation (1), with -
(a) adequate washing facilities which are readily accessible and located in an area where the facilities will not become contaminated, in order to enable the employees to meet a standard of personal hygiene consistent with the adequate control of exposure, and to avoid the spread of an HCS;
(b) two separate lockers separately labelled 'protective clothing' and 'personal clothing', and ensure that the clothing is kept separately in the locker concerned; and
(c) separate 'clean' and 'dirty' change rooms if the employer uses or processes an HCS to the extent that the HCS could endanger the health of persons outside the workplace.
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert
SA Labour Guide Forum Team

ilsejoy1986

Unread post by ilsejoy1986 » 24 Aug 2017, 14:07

Hi Tinus,

Where can I find an extract in the Labour Guide that speaks of separate toilets for men and women?
We are currently outnumbered by men where I work. They have insisted on keeping the toilets unisex, also with no sanitary bins. The toilet is lterally 3 steps away from my desk and this makes me uncomfortable. Unless I can find this in the Labour Guide, I have no leg to stand on.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards
Ilse de Bruyn

tinus

Unread post by tinus » 25 Aug 2017, 16:30

Hi Ilse

Unfortunately, unisex facilities would be legal if the door cloud be locked from the inside.

Sanitary bins would a requirement (HBA regulations).

Greetings
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert

ElmiH

Unread post by ElmiH » 27 Apr 2018, 10:26

Is there a specific clause in the regulations that specify that bathroom facility & workers tea kitchen WALLS should be tiled where prepacked dairy products are stored. I know that the floors should be tiled & waterproofed but where does it say that all the walls should be tiled, is plaster & paint not good enough. Is it possible to only tile the shower walls and the splash back by the tea kitchen sink. Please can you assist me with an answer.

tinus

Unread post by tinus » 24 May 2018, 20:01

The only part directing addressing the matter would be FR 2(4)

ensure that the walls of that part of a room in which there are showers, are smooth and impermeable, and that the floor thereof is slip-free and sloped for effective drainage; and

impermeable - REASON WHY THE WALL SHOULD BE TILLED

Greetings
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert