H&S

For employees/ workers advice please visit http://www.labourguide.co.za/faq

If you would like to add a question click on the "new topic" button. To reply to an existing posting simply click on the "reply" button. Click on http://www.labourguide.co.za to return to the SA Labour Guide homepage

Moderator: Andrec

H&S rep

H&S

Unread post by H&S rep » 06 Apr 2018, 16:37

gGood day

I am currently a health and Safety Rep at our Company and I am in need of some advice could you please assist?

Recently our company has started some renovations in the back office area on top some drilling has taken place as well as down the hall when the drilling took place down the hall there was some dust in the air and after that the floors were done which required glue the whole place was reeking of glue and we have a pregnant girl in back office according to my knowledge the company is supposed to provide PPE we have not gotten any or at least masks according to me this is how the process works.

• Employees need to be notified beforehand when construction will take place. Or at least a schedule must be provided by the company doing the work
• So that nessacary arrangements can be made for employees to work in a different area or enough time is given for PPE to be provided.

PPE was not provided and construction is still happening in our back office area, please advise what can I do about this?

tinus

Re: H&S

Unread post by tinus » 09 Apr 2018, 12:00

Hi there

The risk assessment for the task/ activity as well as the 37(2) agreement between your employer and the contactor should have determined the possible risks as well as the necessary protective measures.

PPE of the pregnant lady would not be practical (a normal mask would not have work). The work should not have been done at a time when employees could have been exposed to these hazards like fumes.

Greetings
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert
SA Labour Guide Forum Team