Working long days and long hours

For employees/ workers advice please visit http://www.labourguide.co.za/faq

If you would like to add a question click on the "new topic" button. To reply to an existing posting simply click on the "reply" button. Click on http://www.labourguide.co.za to return to the SA Labour Guide homepage

Moderator: Andrec

Linga22

Working long days and long hours

Unread post by Linga22 » 11 Jan 2018, 15:32

I know that the BCEA allows for Rest Period, however in the Hospitality industry I feel that this section of the BCEA has been and is still ignored. My employer can schedule a person on the roster of 9 consecutive days with one day in between those days, Its goes to having no rest hours as well. An individual can work a 7pm - 7am shift and be expected to report for the next shift at 2pm the very same day they knocked off. I would like to find out if there are any steps that can be taken with regards to this and the employer clearly does not care about this for it has been reported by the employees more than twice already and the roster is still reflecting no rest at all.

tinus

Re: Working long days and long hours

Unread post by tinus » 18 Jan 2018, 09:35

Hi there

May I suggest that you report it to Dept of Labour (inspector).

They may not disclose the identity of the individual that disclosed the info to them.

Greetings
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert
SA Labour Guide Forum Team

Timmy.com

Unread post by Timmy.com » 20 Jun 2018, 13:02

Can these over worked employees claim compensation for the past hours worked?

debbie12222

Unread post by debbie12222 » 30 Aug 2018, 10:31

We have the same problem, working 12 days with 2 days of, no lunch breaks at all. yes we get paid overtime but i dont want the pay i want the days. Cant have the days because they dont want to employ more staff... cant refuse to work overtime even if i am over the threshold, i can loose my job....so yes it would be nice to have more time off

debbie12222

Unread post by debbie12222 » 04 Sep 2018, 20:34

If i ask to rather have the off time than money for overtime worked, when am i suppose to get this time? I want to rest, be more at home, than at work. If i worked from monday to sunday and want a monday and tuesday of for my overtime worked, can it be refused? Waiting for it for 3 or 4 months makes no sense, I want it now not in 3 months time. And am I not suppose to get my pay for overtime worked in the same month? Is it not the same for off time for overtime worked?