paintfumes made me sick

For employees/ workers advice please visit http://www.labourguide.co.za/faq

If you would like to add a question click on the "new topic" button. To reply to an existing posting simply click on the "reply" button. Click on http://www.labourguide.co.za to return to the SA Labour Guide homepage

Moderator: Andrec

needmoreinfo

paintfumes made me sick

Unread post by needmoreinfo » 21 Nov 2017, 16:52

Hi I need advice. our shop was painted out middle August 2017. From the second day I started getting headaches, burning eyes, difficulty breathing, non stop coughing and now struggling swallowing etc. I told my senior that I think it's the paint causing it. It was just brushed off as nothing. I got so ill that I passed out totally in October and they called an ambulance. I was told to go home and not come back till I'm sorted as I'm a health risk at the work. The work thought it was tb as I was coughing non stop. I went to see a private doctor who took chest x-rays that showed that it was chemically induced asthma caused by the paint used. I'm still on medication and need to use that now for the rest of my life. I ha d to pay the medical bills out of my own pocket and am still not well but back at work, some days I feel so bad that I can hardly focus and do my work. What can I do. I feel the work must compensate me as I never had lung problems before and now I can hardly walk round the block and then I'm exhausted. Please tell me what to do

needmoreinfo

Re: paintfumes made me sick

Unread post by needmoreinfo » 21 Nov 2017, 17:26

Hi I need advice. our shop was painted out middle August 2017. From the second day I started getting headaches, burning eyes, difficulty breathing, non stop coughing and now struggling swallowing etc. I told my senior that I think it's the paint causing it. It was just brushed off as nothing. I got so ill that I passed out totally in October and they called an ambulance. I was told to go home and not come back till I'm sorted as I'm a health risk at the work. The work thought it was tb as I was coughing non stop. I went to see a private doctor who took chest x-rays that showed that it was chemically induced asthma caused by the paint used. I'm still on medication and need to use that now for the rest of my life. I ha d to pay the medical bills out of my own pocket and am still not well but back at work, some days I feel so bad that I can hardly focus and do my work. What can I do. I feel the work must compensate me as I never had lung problems before and now I can hardly walk round the block and then I'm exhausted. Please tell me what to do

tinus

Re: paintfumes made me sick

Unread post by tinus » 22 Nov 2017, 14:24

Firstly, your employer was obligated to report the incident (unconsciousness) the Chief Inspectors office.

Secondly the claim should have been reported to Compensation Fund.

Best would be to contact the office of the Chief Inspector.

LABOUR HEAD OFFICE:
Telephone Number(s): (012) 309 4000 Fax Number(s): (012) 320 2059
Email Address: webmaster@labour.gov.za

Compensation House.

Contact Details

Option 1:
Compensation Fund Call Centre

Email: cfcallcentre@labour.gov.za

Tel: (012) 319-9111 or

Fax: 012 357 1772

Postal Address: P. O. Box 955, Pretoria, 0001

Physical Address: Cnr Soutpansberg rd & Hamilton str, Arcadia Pretoria