Temporary disability

For employees/ workers advice please visit http://www.labourguide.co.za/faq

If you would like to add a question click on the "new topic" button. To reply to an existing posting simply click on the "reply" button. Click on http://www.labourguide.co.za to return to the SA Labour Guide homepage

Moderator: Andrec

Maxicus

Temporary disability

Unread post by Maxicus » 30 Jun 2017, 08:25

Good day

I am in the progress to calculate the DIFR which includes both temporary and permanent disabilities.

I have a few scenarios and would like to know which are considered temporary disabilities:

Scenario 1:
A millwright injures his foot, not knowing if it broken or not, i complete a wcl2 form and send him to the doctor for further examination, results are that it is not broken and that he can return to work the next morning.
Conclusion: i believe this is not a temporary disability.

Scenario 2:
A millwright injures his foot, not knowing if it broken or not, i complete a wcl2 form and send him to the doctor for further examination, results are that it is broken but he can return to work, but will not be able to perform normal duties as always.
Conclusion: I believe this is a temporary disability.

Scenario 3:
A office reception injures her foot, not knowing if it broken or not, i complete a wcl2 form and send her to the doctor for further examination, results are that it is broken but she can return to work, and continue normal duties.

To my understanding, a temporary disability means that the injured person will either not be able to return the next day for work or longer, or may return to work but will not be able to perform their normal activities and requires "light duty" work.

please correct me if i am wrong on this and drawing up the wrong conclusions to my scenarios.

tinus

Re: Temporary disability

Unread post by tinus » 05 Jul 2017, 09:06

Good morning

The COID Act would be applicable.

There are basically 2 types of temp disability.

Temp Total Disablement (body will recover but the employee is booked off/ cannot work at all)

Temp Partial Disablement (Light duty would apply).

Scenario 1:
A millwright injures his foot, not knowing if it broken or not, i complete a wcl2 form and send him to the doctor for further examination, results are that it is not broken and that he can return to work the next morning.
Conclusion: i believe this is not a temporary disablement. Correct

Scenario 2:
A millwright injures his foot, not knowing if it broken or not, i complete a wcl2 form and send him to the doctor for further examination, results are that it is broken but he can return to work, but will not be able to perform normal duties as always.
Conclusion: I believe this is a temporary disability.
temporary partial disablement/ light duty

Scenario 3:
A office reception injures her foot, not knowing if it broken or not, i complete a wcl2 form and send her to the doctor for further examination, results are that it is broken but she can return to work, and continue normal duties.
temporary partial disablement/ light duty
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert
SA Labour Guide Forum Team

Maxicus

Unread post by Maxicus » 17 Jul 2017, 10:25

Thank you very much exactly what i was looking for.

tinus

Unread post by tinus » 19 Jul 2017, 17:10

No problem
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert

Frederick789

Unread post by Frederick789 » 06 Oct 2017, 04:24

I've had a serious accident and had surgery and might have to go for another one it Will tak6months to recover as stated by the orthapedics surgeons and I might not be able to work for the company. Can I get a dismal so that my attorney's can pay me a monthly amount. Or Will the company be able rotis pay me Mh salary.

Best regards
Fred

tinus

Unread post by tinus » 10 Oct 2017, 13:28

Enquiries can be followed up with the office of the Compensation House.

Contact Details

Option 1:
Compensation Fund Call Centre

Email: cfcallcentre@labour.gov.za

Tel: (012) 319-9111 or

Fax: 012 357 1772

Postal Address: P. O. Box 955, Pretoria, 0001

Physical Address: Cnr Soutpansberg rd & Hamilton str, Arcadia Pretoria

Option 2:

Visist your closet labour Centre.
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert

SMJMA

Unread post by SMJMA » 15 Jun 2018, 04:22

Good day,
Trust you all are well.

I need some advise please, on what the BCA says on temporary disability and payment of salary.

The scenario is that this person has had a stroke (this happened at home) and is currently in rehabilitation hospital, but has run out of sick leave due to the long stay in hospital and now rehabilitation.

Listening to the other patients in hospital they all have polocies in place at their employers and get paid at least 75% of their salary.

I understand it is each company to their own policy but what then if their is no policy in place, and one gets drawn up now, as there has been requested for one.

Apologies for all the questions.

Kind regards
Suzette

Linmic

Unread post by Linmic » 19 Jul 2018, 12:09

One can claim UIF Illness benefits. See the link below.
http://www.labour.gov.za/DOL/legislation/acts/basic-guides/basic-guide-to-uif-illness-benefits