GMR Appointment

For employees/ workers advice please visit http://www.labourguide.co.za/faq

If you would like to add a question click on the "new topic" button. To reply to an existing posting simply click on the "reply" button. Click on http://www.labourguide.co.za to return to the SA Labour Guide homepage

Moderator: Andrec

Peet Brand

GMR Appointment

Unread post by Peet Brand » 09 Jul 2009, 07:37

We are a great College Institution with Workshops. Dangerous machines are being used here for Training purposes. Must I appoint a GMR and what form must be completed.
Thanks for the info on the appointment of a Health and Safety Committee.
Greetings
Peet Brand
OHS Officer

tinus

Re: GMR Appointment

Unread post by tinus » 09 Jul 2009, 10:19

Hi Peet

Yes, you need to appoint a GMR 2(1) for each and every premises on which machinery is used.
Attached please find a summary concerning the appointment of the GMR 2(1).
A copy of the appointment letter should be send to your Provisional Director of Department of Labour. You may contact an inspector and discuss the matter with him; they can be lenient in this regard.
(Attached please find a copy of the appointment letter)
Greetings
Attachments
GMR 2(1) - APPOINTMENT.doc
(26 KiB) Downloaded 7009 times
GMR 2(1).doc
(33.5 KiB) Downloaded 4853 times
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert
SA Labour Guide Forum Team

cloeterc

Unread post by cloeterc » 25 Jul 2011, 15:38

is there a template of the letter that must accompany this appointment letter that gets sent to the Labour Dept?

tinus

Unread post by tinus » 26 Jul 2011, 12:25

Hi Peet

No template letter.

Greetings
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert

Safe_T

Unread post by Safe_T » 28 Feb 2013, 16:17

Hi Tinus

I would just like to know, with regards to Peet's question below. We also have a workshop with the usual welding machines (220v) and 115mm Grinders. What qualification would the GMR2.1 in such scenario require?

Regards

tinus

Unread post by tinus » 01 Mar 2013, 09:37

Hi there

Trust all is well.

Have a look at the previous attachment regarding the competency of the GMR 2(1) person -GMR 2(1): Competent person in relation to machinery.

Need to assess/ determine you maximum consumption usage over 30 min and then determine the competency level of the person (look at the previous attachment - GMR 2(1): Competent person in relation to machinery).

Greetings
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert

Evert

Unread post by Evert » 01 Apr 2015, 20:37

Hi

I am to be appointed as GMR 2.1 on >3000kW on my GCC
This is more of a legal appointment, because I am the only one with the required qualifications.
The Maintenance manager will be a Expad, from somewhere ells....
I was asked to assist him in his duties..
The question that I have, if I would communicate to this person that something is a short according to regulations, and he ignore and or does not repair it, but I have proof of communication to him, will I still be liable according to law?
Second question, if you are appointed as a 2.1, it must be forwarded to the DOL. If I want to withdraw my appointment, how would I do this?

Thank you
Evert
evertpgeldenhuys@gmail.com

tinus

Unread post by tinus » 02 Apr 2015, 11:00

Hi Evert

The question that I have, if I would communicate to this person that something is a short according to regulations, and he ignore and or does not repair it, but I have proof of communication to him, will I still be liable according to law?

What would the reasonable ma/ person do in this regard? It would firstly depend on the risk/ seriousness of the situation.
For example: as competent person, if I know that there is something wrong with a particular machine used by my company and this may lead to a serious injury or fatality, just reporting it to the next level could for example be seen as not done enough in order to prevent it. I would strongly recommend that you also bring these matters under the attention of the 16.1. The 16.1 (CEO) & the GMR 2(1) would be accountable if something goes wrong where machinery is involved. In a serious situation, the inspector from DoL could also be contacted.

Second question, if you are appointed as a 2.1, it must be forwarded to the DOL.

Correct

If I want to withdraw my appointment, how would I do this
According to section 16 your CEO may delegate any duty to any person under his control.

Unfortunately you would not be able to refuse the appointment/ withdraw you appointment from DoL in this regard. Remember that you may bring the situation under the attention of the inspector from DoL .

Greetings
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert

tinus

Unread post by tinus » 10 Apr 2015, 16:09

It would depnd on the distribution of Electricity (Max demand over any continues period of 30 min usage).

See attachment document for explanation.

Greetings
Attachments
Summary GMR2(1).docx
(40.81 KiB) Downloaded 1132 times
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert

mpele

Unread post by mpele » 06 Oct 2015, 20:03

Good Day,

Thank you all for your contribution.

I have similar challenges as some of the persons posted above. I am a newly Technical Executive Manager for Municipal entity with power consumption of about 16MW. These power consumption is distributed in 3 remote regions. Currently, there is Competent Person appointed as Compliance Officer but not registered with DOL.

I had discussion with him regarding his appointment and registration with DOL. He wants to be re-appointed as Head of Maintenance and be responsible for all maintenance activities or NOTHING.
1. Does the law prescribe the hierarchy and level of appointment for GMR 2.1?
2. Is there legal implications if the GMR 2.1 is appointed as Compliance Manager to play oversee and enforcer role than implementer and enforcer as suggested?
3. Do I have to appoint 3 GMR 2.1 per region or GMR 2.7 to assist loner GMR 2.1 at central office?

Please assist with advise and ideal structure (where possible)

tinus

Unread post by tinus » 10 Oct 2015, 08:06

Hi there

This is indeed a very important legal appointment.

GMR 2. Supervision of machinery

(1) In order to ensure that the provisions of the Act and these Regulations in relation to machinery are complied with, an employer or user of machinery shall, subject to this regulation, in writing designate a person in full time capacity in respect of every premises on or in which machinery is being used.

Note: There need to be a competent person (GMR 2(1)) per premises.

2 (7) (a) An employer or user of machinery may designate one or more competent persons to assist a person designated in terms of subregulation (1)

Note: These persons are referred to as assistant(s) to the GMR2(1)

2 (8) Except with the approval of an inspector, no person designated in terms of subregulations (1) or (7) shall supervise machinery on or in any premises other than the premises in respect of which he had been designated.

Note: You should contact your local inspector and discuss your particular situation with him/ her. They might give permission for one person to oversee more than one region/ sight.
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert

Banger38

Unread post by Banger38 » 26 Jan 2016, 11:51

Good Day, New here.
I was appointed as GMR 2.I am a Qualified Millwright with 20 years experience in industry. Our Plant generates less than 1200kw per 30min.

Will this be legal?

tinus

Unread post by tinus » 28 Jan 2016, 08:56

Maybe you would need to look at the distrubution of electricity as well not only the generation per 30 min.

If it is 3000kwa or less the employer would still be obligated to appiont a A Person.

Greetings

Tinus
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert

Jan Schutte

Unread post by Jan Schutte » 11 Jul 2016, 11:27

Good day

We are presently busy with the construction of 2 x 132kV Electrical substations for IPP clients. The projects are solar panel farms that are constructed by G5. They are requesting me to appoint a GMR 2 (1) for my substations, Def. (c) & (d) on a full time basis on site. We do have an appointed GMR 2 (1) electrical engineer but does the appointed person need to be on site at all times? Will it be sufficient if I appoint a competent GMR 7 (1) to be on site full time during Hot commissioning of the Solar Panel farm and and connection to the Eskom grid?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

tinus

Unread post by tinus » 11 Jul 2016, 16:01

We do have an appointed GMR 2 (1) electrical engineer but does the appointed person need to be on site at all times?

That would be correct. “Except with the approval of an inspector , no person designated in terms of subregulations (1) or (7) shall supervise machinery on or in any premises other than the premises in respect of which he had been designated”

Will it be sufficient if I appoint a competent GMR 7 (1) to be on site full time during Hot commissioning of the Solar Panel farm and connection to the Eskom grid?

I think you are referring to the GMR 2(7), same qualifications/ experience applicable to the GMR 2(1) would be applicable.
Why don t you apply for approval from the inspector for your current GMR 2(1) to manage more than one site?
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert

Noel Smit

Unread post by Noel Smit » 28 Jul 2016, 08:16

Question: Does the GMR2(7)(a) need to have the same qualifications and experience as the GMR2(1) when he/she is to assist the GMR2(1)? Is the GMR2(7)(a) appointed to assist the GMR2(1) and not to duplicate actions?

tinus

Unread post by tinus » 29 Jul 2016, 11:09

That would be correct.

Greetings
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert

summitmedical

Unread post by summitmedical » 29 Jul 2016, 15:49

Does a 16.2 appointment have to be a permanent employee? Or can the person be a contractor / part timer. The person works 12 days a month at the company.

tinus

Unread post by tinus » 30 Jul 2016, 10:50

It would have to be a full time employee.

You could hiwever apply for exemption.

GMR 2(11) Any employer or user of machinery who applies for exemption from the provisions of this regulation under section 32 of the Act shall furnish the Minister with the following particulars, namely -

(a) the grounds for the application;

(b) the number of employees employed on or in the premises in question;

(c) the nature of the work performed in or on the premises in question;

(d) the number and type of incidents reported in terms of section 17(1) of the Act during the preceding three years;

(e) the safety management system in force in respect of the premises in question; and

(f) any other particulars as the chief inspector may require.
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert

Zayne

Unread post by Zayne » 19 Dec 2016, 10:57

Hi

Excuse my ignorance, but I can't seem to grasp the definition or what items/ equipment are seen as machinery.

Please can someone assist, I would like to know if the following are seen as Machinery:
1. Generator - 6 - 12 kva
2. Wacker compactor
3. Plate compactor
4. Tar cutter
5. Bomag dual roller compactor ( I define this as Plant?)

Our scope of work entails civil works, trenching, laying of ducts and reinstating the surface.

Item 1 - 4 are not defined as Plant in the OHSA, therefore no CR23.(1)(d)(i) appointment will be required, but it just makes sense that a GMR2.(1) will then be taking the responsibility for the operation of items 1 - 4 mentioned above? If not who will be taking the responsibility for the workers operating these items 1-4?

I am looking forward to your feedback.

tinus

Unread post by tinus » 10 Jan 2017, 15:54

"machinery" means any article or combination of articles assembled, arranged or connected and which is used or intended to be used for converting any form of energy to performing work, or which is used or intended to be used, whether incidental thereto or not, for developing, receiving, storing, containing, confining, transforming, transmitting, transferring or controlling any form of energy;

"plant" includes structures, buildings, fixtures, fittings, implements, equipment, tools and appliances, and also anything which is used for any purpose in connection with such plant;

All 5 items would actually be regarded as Machinery according to the OHS Act definition.

The GMR2(1) should ensure that the provisions of the Act and these Regulations in relation to machinery are complied with (ensure compliance with health and safety legislation on behalf of the employer).

In short, your risk assessment should determine the SOP's. Your operators needs to to competent (trained according to the SOP's) and your supervisors must ensure that they perform their work according to your set procedures.
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert

Davie123

Unread post by Davie123 » 21 Apr 2017, 15:21

Good Day All

Gteat forum and insightful information from all.

Kindly assist, I am new in this area. My company has indicated that they want to appoint me as the site GMR2.1. What I would like to get clarity on , what are legal implications on me as the appointee . I have my GCC and the plant has a max demand of 2.5MVA. We also have 16T and 8T boiler on site with plans to install an additional 4T boiler on site.

We have various equipments on site that are hydraulically powered, forklifts, overheard cranes etc.

1.What are the things I need to have in place to safeguard myself legally in case of any eventuality.

2. What grounds do I have to decline/refuse the appointment should I feel my concerns I have are not addressed prior to being appointed.

Thank you for your valued guidance.

Trevor

tinus

Unread post by tinus » 24 Apr 2017, 08:32

Good morning

As GMR(2)(1) you would be responsible for compliance towards the minimum standards/ prescription of the various Machinery related regulations/ Electrical Instillation Regulations/ Pressure Equipment etc of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.

Unfortunately you cant refuse the appointment.
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert

leongouws

Unread post by leongouws » 10 May 2017, 09:22

Hi, a person runs his own business and also does all the work himself. Can he be the 16.1 appointee as well as the GMR 2. The Company he does work for requires him to do a GMR 2 appointment.

Regards
Leon
safety@techroq.co.za

tinus

Unread post by tinus » 15 May 2017, 20:58

Yes, if competent it could be the same person.
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert