Does Training Certificates Expire

For employees/ workers advice please visit http://www.labourguide.co.za/faq

If you would like to add a question click on the "new topic" button. To reply to an existing posting simply click on the "reply" button. Click on http://www.labourguide.co.za to return to the SA Labour Guide homepage

Moderator: Andrec

benbull

Does Training Certificates Expire

Unread post by benbull » 13 Apr 2015, 15:33

Hi,

We train our employees on Working at Heights, Scaffold Erection / Inspection, Basic Rigging etc. and renew this training every 2 years. Is there anything in legislation which indicates that training must be renewed every 2 years? I know it is best practise to renew training and to ensure employees are kept up to date with changing standards and legislation.

Thanks,

scaffoldtraining

Re: Does Training Certificates Expire

Unread post by scaffoldtraining » 31 Mar 2016, 20:50

Hi Ben
Did you receive any info on your question with regards to your question - We train our employees on Working at Heights, Scaffold Erection / Inspection, Basic Rigging etc. and renew this training every 2 years. Is there anything in legislation which indicates that training must be renewed every 2 years? I know it is best practise to renew training and to ensure employees are kept up to date with changing standards and legislation

tinus

Unread post by tinus » 11 Apr 2016, 18:49

Hi there

Certain certificates would not expire like health and safety representatives; Incident Investigation etc (some training providers certificates would however only be valid for 2 years) .

Working at Heights - would normaly valid for 1 year
Scaffold Erection / Inspection, Basic Rigging etc - would normally be valid for 2 years.

Greetings
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert
SA Labour Guide Forum Team

Tyr153

Unread post by Tyr153 » 30 Aug 2018, 12:40

Hi Ben

There is no legislation regarding expiry dates for scaffolding or working at heights.
Expiry dates come from a the National code of practice which governs the training and certification of lifting machinery.

Further more the construction CETA has no mandate to over see training for these "short" courses.
When it comes to Scaffolding, training need only be in accordance with the Construction Regulations 2014, OHS Act 1993, and guided by the requirements listed in South African National Standards (SANS) 10085-1:2004.

That is the legal side of it, as far as I'm aware.

However when you get to a new site a safety officer may ask for a unit standard based course since they have become familiar with unit standards and expiry dates.
A safety officer may insist on this, and they do so of their own accord. Its best to find away to comply with a site.

However the safety offices many not be aware that Unit Standards were developed for learner-ships and not short courses (Unless a Unit standard had been singled out - as in the case for lifting machinery).
For this reason the Institute of working at Heights was formed to try create a standard for this training. The institute for working at heights is not legislated to over see this training and some training providers are not interested in joining.

Further more the construction Seta (CETA) is not very cooperative in awarding these unit standards to providers who want to use them in a short course. I've had some discussions with MerSeta regarding the use of some of their Unit Standards in short courses and they said they do not recognize that as being a certificate of competence. They only recognize com Qualification as being t.

There are a lot of Unit Standards under CETA where NO training providers in South Africa are accredited.
I've had a safety officer ask for a Unit Standard based course for US 263205 Inspect access scaffolding.
As far as I can see there are no training providers listed as being accredited for this Unit Standard.

The real issue is that CETA has no mandate and possibly no personal to assist with issuing accreditation and overseeing training for short courses.
Training providers will align their course with the Unit Standards for working @ heights and scaffolding so as to cover the relevant aspects and achieve the same specific outcomes.