First aid kit vs my interpretation of Osha

For employees/ workers advice please visit http://www.labourguide.co.za/faq

If you would like to add a question click on the "new topic" button. To reply to an existing posting simply click on the "reply" button. Click on http://www.labourguide.co.za to return to the SA Labour Guide homepage

Moderator: Andrec

julie_steffers

First aid kit vs my interpretation of Osha

Unread post by julie_steffers » 12 Sep 2014, 08:59

Good morning

The annexure lists the minimum contents of a First Aid Box which is items 1-22.

Regulation 7 states that only articles as mentioned in the annexure may be kept in the first aid box.

My interpretation is that we cannot add anything to the list such as medication, etc We have a staff member that suffers with anxiety attacks. Can we keep a brown paper packet for when she hyperventilates. I also notice that there is nothing on the list for burns.

Is there a specific size as to how large the box might be.

If we are audited will we get in trouble if we have additional items in the first aid kit and are dispensing medication of we are not mandated in terms of the pharmacy act.

Thanks in advance

tinus

Re: First aid kit vs my interpretation of Osha

Unread post by tinus » 14 Sep 2014, 15:32

Hi Jason

Adding a brown paper packet burn shield would be good practice – nothing wrong with that.

Is there a specific size as to how large the box might be.

No specific size prescribed by legislation.

Greetings

Tinus
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert
SA Labour Guide Forum Team

julie_steffers

Unread post by julie_steffers » 15 Sep 2014, 12:50

Thanks Tinus

tinus

Unread post by tinus » 15 Sep 2014, 17:55

Pleasure
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert

riya20

Unread post by riya20 » 06 Dec 2014, 14:19

Hi

please assist me - we have 200 employees in South Africa and 65 stores in the country - do we appoint only 1 safety rep per 50 or do we need to appoint one per store and these reps must do the first aid and fire fighting training course am I correct in saying that
Save your time and get on time success in 642-467 toefl exams by using our latest pass 4 sure and other superb exam pass resources of pittstate and www.mica.edu and join Northwood University best of luck.

tinus

Unread post by tinus » 08 Dec 2014, 11:16

Hi there

a) Health and safety representatives

When and how to appoint representatives

Employers who employ more than 20 workers must appoint health and safety representatives. These representatives need to be designated as health and safety representatives in writing, for a specified period of time.

Based on Legislation in section 17 of the Occupational Health and Safety Act

How many to appoint

Shops and offices must have at least 1 representative for every 100 workers or part thereof.

All other workplaces must have at least 1 representative for every 50 workers or part thereof. However, an inspector may order an employer to appoint more.

Based on Legislation in section 17, of the Occupational Health and Safety Act

Note: You health and safety rep appointments would thus be correct.

b) First aiders

The appointment of first aiders:

Where more than 10 employees are employed at a workplace, the employer needs to appoint a first aider. This is a compulsory legal appointment and the first aider should be readily available during normal working hours.

Ratio for first aiders:

Shops and offices - one first aider for every 100 employees.
Other workplaces - one first aider for every 50 employees.

Note: You health and safety rep can also be the first aider (have more than one responsibility) but it not a legal requirement. Reps and first aiders are normally two different persons.

c) Fire fighters

Ratio for fire fighters/ evacuation officers:

There is no specific ratio prescribed towards fire fighters/ evacuation officers – you risk assessment determine your precautionary measures.

Section 8 of the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHS Act) stipulates that the employer shall provide and maintain, as far as is reasonably practicable, a working environment that is safe and without risk to the health of his employees. By law, employers must identify, evaluate, remove or mitigate work related hazards and risks. It includes planning and preparation for the inevitable like fire and evacuation.

This should be reflected in your companies’ emergency plan needs to be site specific. A site emergency plan describes, in detail, an organisation’s policy and procedures for coping with an emergency situation on site.

These policies and procedures should define how the organization will protect people and property. Developing the plan is the process of assigning emergency related tasks to individuals in the organisation, and outlining protective actions to be taken.

Section 13 of the OHS Act stipulates that employees must be informed of work related hazards (including fire) as well as the precautionary measures taken to protect them.

Note: Important - your fire fighter and first aider should be two different persons. A conflict of interest may occur in case of an emergency - will I treat the injured persons as first aider or will I act as a fire fighter?
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert

George7

Unread post by George7 » 14 Jan 2017, 19:15

We used these guys for our companies first aid traning
http://firstaidsa.co.za/index.php/johannesburg/

tinus

Unread post by tinus » 17 Jan 2017, 18:48

Thank you
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert

Oliviadk

Unread post by Oliviadk » 23 Apr 2018, 12:09

Hi,

Just another question on this topic but related to training. The company that gave us a quote for fire fighting training said they are not accredited for that specifically because the act does not specify that it must be accredited. Is this correct? Does that then mean that we can do this training in-house?

thank you in advance

tinus

Unread post by tinus » 24 May 2018, 19:49

Hi there

That would be correct, "the act does not directly specify that it must be accredited".

Inhouse training would not be illegal (obviously you would need to have a competent person with the knowledge skills & experience who conducts the training).

Greetings
Tinus Boshoff
Health and Safety Expert